Friday, May 18, 2007
Writing schedule
Something amusing happened this morning regarding my writing schedule that may give you a smile.
I sat down to finish a new chapter I'm creating for the next draft of the current manuscript. When rifling through a stack of loose pages to uncover what I had already written, I stumbled upon a page with the following:
"You had to hand it to Celeste for her aplomb. Her husband had just found her in bed with her best friend and she didn't even look upset."
Oh, that looks interesting, I thought to myself. Wonder what it is.
I pulled the sheet out of the stack and realized that it's a line from the next MS that I began months ago and had printed off without reading last week.
I had to laugh at myself -- and my poor memory.
Whenever I complete a draft of a MS, I begin the next one then return to the first for editing/review/whatever. If a manuscript takes many drafts to complete, I may begin more than one other story. This is what had happened with the above-mentioned line. I wrote it months ago when I was working on a story that may never see the light of day. (It isn't terribly well written so, unless I develop new enthusiasm for it and complete another rewrite, well, I'm sure I can use it to prop up a table leg somewhere.)
Does anyone else write this way? My vast experience with fiction writing has spanned a whole year and I'm interested in hearing what works for other writers.
Have a great writing day!
Colleen
I sat down to finish a new chapter I'm creating for the next draft of the current manuscript. When rifling through a stack of loose pages to uncover what I had already written, I stumbled upon a page with the following:
"You had to hand it to Celeste for her aplomb. Her husband had just found her in bed with her best friend and she didn't even look upset."
Oh, that looks interesting, I thought to myself. Wonder what it is.
I pulled the sheet out of the stack and realized that it's a line from the next MS that I began months ago and had printed off without reading last week.
I had to laugh at myself -- and my poor memory.
Whenever I complete a draft of a MS, I begin the next one then return to the first for editing/review/whatever. If a manuscript takes many drafts to complete, I may begin more than one other story. This is what had happened with the above-mentioned line. I wrote it months ago when I was working on a story that may never see the light of day. (It isn't terribly well written so, unless I develop new enthusiasm for it and complete another rewrite, well, I'm sure I can use it to prop up a table leg somewhere.)
Does anyone else write this way? My vast experience with fiction writing has spanned a whole year and I'm interested in hearing what works for other writers.
Have a great writing day!
Colleen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment